Wednesday 15 August 2007

Jamie Oliver’s Lamb Ragu Sauce



He faffs about with it, I have made it simple and bunged it in the slow cooker and it’s still delish [to coin a phrase!!] I will post another photo of this as and when I serve it...watch this space!

Serves 6-8
2lbs shoulder of lamb on the bone
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
½ bulb of garlic
Hand full of fresh rosemary sprigs
1 red onion, peeled and quarter
1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
1 stick of celery, cut into pieces
1 large leek, cut into pieces
1 bay leave
Handful of thyme springs
1 400g tin of tomatoes
½ bottle red wine

Place all ingredients into a slow cooker, place tightly fitting lid and cook for 8 hours on low
It’s as simple as that.
This can be served with pasta, over a mountain of creamy mash, with pastry top making it a good base for a pie, or shepherds pie

TIP: Lamb can be quite fatty, so let it get to room temperature, then refrigerate, the fat will solidify on top of the dish, you can then spoon it off for a less greasy, healthier version. Either freeze it or re-heat and serve.
Take the carrots out and you have yourself a IPD friendly ragu to serve with cauliflower rice.

2 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love Jamie Oliver. He is my favourite on the Food Network. Thursday night is the only night I make a point to watch TV with "Jamie Oliver at Home" and "Jamie's Italian Adventure". I'm loving your blog as well so far. I'll keep going....

Tulip said...

Have you seen the book that accompanies Jamies Italy? It's wonderful, fantastic recipes and great photos. I haven't got 'at home' yet but I do have Jamie's Dinners which is great family food, my kids love them recipes in that one!